I'm A Writer Here Me Roar!

Posted on Wednesday, February 4, 2015



This post is to all the mothers out there who have a hard time saying "Yes, I'm mom but I'm also a writer!"  Yes, you know what I'm talking about.  I want you to scream it. Write it. Tweet It. Take a picture of that word and IG the heck out of it.  Freaking get a cup of coffee and have that talented barista write "writer" in it instead of that heart.

I always meet other moms that say "I wish I was a writer."  Yes, I was one of those until about 10 minutes ago while I was laying in bed nursing the baby when it clicked.  I am a writer damn it. Even if I freaking suck at it and I barely have time to do it.

The last couple of months I've been climbing that steep mountain of writing to the point where I was cliff hanging that bad boy and holding on by my finger tips. I was feeling that ledge quickly slipping away and my arms were hurting from just dangling.  I was putting too much pressure on myself because I wasn't sitting at the computer writing but instead I was busy doing the best job in the world, being a mom.    I caught myself and took a step back and realized "I'm doing the best that I can do for where I am now."  Life is life.  Being a mom is no joke and everything else that we add in our lives is a freaking bonus.

So what that you didn't write 2k words a day like Stephen King says.  So what, that the mama you stalk on IG just finished her triology while she homeschooled, ran a farm and has her own etsy shop.  Kudos to you lady and maybe you should come over and tell me how you did it.  Am I hating? No. I'm just being honest and making all those other mama writers realize that we are doing what we can with the time we have and that you are STILL a writer even if you didn't sit at the computer today.

I am a writer even if I only write one sentence a day.  Even if I write an email to the Kindergarten teacher telling her that I have no freaking clue where Chloe put the library book and if she could just fine me and be over it.  I am writer when the only thing I write is a sticky post it note that says "Just Breathe" over the kitchen sink because I know two seconds later I have a baby climbing into the dishwasher trying to lick off last nights dinner.  I am writer when I text my sister about what color poop my nephew had that day and how engorged our boobs feel.

My point is, to all the mama writers out there, no matter how little you write each day or, lets be honest, how much we didn't get to write today, you are a writer. A freaking amazing one.  So, stand on your bed and start jumping up and down and WHISPER, don't yell we can't wake the kids up, "I AM A WRITER."

Now quickly, nurse that baby back to sleep and turn on Netflix or better yet, write.



Listening to: the beautiful sound of a quiet house


  1. I have finally gotten a chance to read this! Oh my goodness it's been in my tabs on Chrome since you posted it. And I laugh, because I am commenting as I make dinner, fitting it in between all of the family stuff, just like you talk about in your post! For me, it's making time for art that is the challenge, just like writing is for you and you have written so beautifully and poignantly – because you are a writer!

    ReplyDelete