Why Write A Book?

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2014



I ask myself the same question about a couple of times a day now. Why write a book? When self doubt comes creeping in and I question the purpose of it.  Will it change the world? Probably not. Will I become a NY Bestseller? Ummmm, I'm not that lucky.  Will I become rich? Absolutely not but a girl can dream.  

I'm not writing this book for fame or fortune.  I'm not writing this book to become a cool cat or gain 1k followers on my Instagram account.  I'm not writing this book to end world hunger though I wish I could.  I'm not writing this book because I'm an excellent writer because, I know for a fact, that I am still an amateur.

I'm writing this book because earlier this year I couldn't even pick up a pen.  My brain wanted to pick it up but it just couldn't.  I remember so clearly when I discovered I couldn't write.  "Leslie,  we need you to sign this document to give us permission to perform these tests."  I nodded my head afraid for anyone to listen to my gibberish and stutter.  I tried to raise my right arm but it was shaking uncontrollably.   The nurse noticed my frustration and immediately put the pen in my hand and laid it on the paper. I smiled at her.  "You're welcome." She replied to me.  But I couldn't get the pen to sign my name.  A tear rolled down my cheek.  The nurse was holding the paper down and trying not to stare at me.  I dropped the pen, I couldn't hold it anymore.  It felt like it weighed a thousand pounds.  More tears came pouring out.  I remember thinking 'I can't write. Oh my god. I can't write.  This can't be happening!'  "Just do your best Leslie.  We just need to get you in for this CT scan immediately." "Bbbbuuuutttt.  IIIIII cannnntttt." I replied to her and my eyes spoke a million words to her.  Agony, pain and sadness were written all over them.  She put the pen back in my hand and I just made the smallest mark on the paper.   


When the test was done.  They wheeled me back to my room where my husband was waiting for me.  I couldn't even look at him in the eye.  "What's wrong Les?"  I looked out at the window and told him "IIII cannnttt wwwwrrrrrriiiiitte." He didn't ask me how I found out or said the usual response during those days of ' don't worry everything will be fine.'  He just hugged me and let me cry for a very long time.  There were no words he could say that would make what I felt go away.  When I finally stopped crying, he handed me a piece of paper.  "Les, start with the basics.  Do your ABCs."  I looked at him like he had lost his mind but he was right and that's exactly what I did.  I told him that when I learn to write again, I was going to write a book. 

See, I experienced a temporary loss of something that is so basic to so many of us, the ability to write.  With determination and practice, I was able to write again.  My speech took a lot longer and that might be another post for another day.  So there you have it,  I'm writing this book because at one point I could barely move my right arm, because I said I was going to do it and I am. 

There will always be mountains in our lives. Obstacles too hard to overcome but with faith, determination and willpower, no mountain will ever be too high.  Not for me anyway.  I was born a fighter and I will die a fighter. 


Post a Comment